Our Active Locomotives
EMD GP-7 #1835
US ARMY GP-7 1835. This locomotive was donated along with sister engine #1822 to the museum by the Department of Defense in 1993.
Originally built in 1951 by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors, this locomotive generates 1,500 horsepower. 1835 is in good condition and operates as one of the Museum’s primary road engines. This locomotive was based at the Sunny Point Military Ocean Terminal in Sunny Point, North Carolina. Plans are to someday return the 1835 to its as built USA Army appearance.
IMC 204, EMD CF-7
Built for the Santa Fe as F7-A #238, later converted to a CF7 by the Santa Fe. Sold to IMC in 1988 and used at Port Sutton, Tampa Fl. Acquired from the port by the Florida Railroad Museum in late 2016. The locomotive was repaired by the Museum and is currently in regular use.
FGC #100 is a 44 ton center cab diesel electric locomotive built by General Electric. Formerly assigned to the Jacksonville Naval Air Station as US Navy #65-00345, the Navy donated the locomotive to the Museum in 1995. The locomotive has two 150 horsepower engines, one on each side of the center mounted cab. It is used by the museum for switching activities and the occasional excursion train.
Our Non-active Locomotives
Currently out-of-service due to engine trouble, our GP-10 #8330 was originally built in 1954 by the Electro-Motive Division as a GP-9. It was subsequently rebuilt and upgraded to the GP-10 designation by the Illinois Central Railroad’s shops in Paducah, KY.
In 2022, a replacement 16 cylinder engine was acquired thanks to a generous donation from a Museum member. Installation and testing is currently waiting for enough volunteers and mechanics to completed the engine change.
EMD GP-7 #1822
This locomotive was donated to the museum by the Department of Defense in 1993. Built in 1951, this locomotive generates 1,500 horsepower. This locomotive was based at the Sunny Point Military Ocean Terminal in Sunny Point, North Carolina. The 1822 is a sister to the 1835, the 1822 is non-operational and is used primarily for parts.
SEABOARD AIR LINE 1633, ALCO RS-3
This locomotive was built as New York Central 8277. It was used in commuter passenger service, later came under Penn Central ownership and finally was Amtrak 133. It was acquired by trade when the museum traded a Santa Fe baggage car to Amtrak for it in 1987. The engine is painted in Seaboard Air Line RR colors to approximate the SAL locomotives that once served the line through Parrish. The 1633 was used on weekend trains until 2007. Currently out of service/stored waiting parts and funding. The 1633 is on static display in Willow.
PENNSYLVANIA RR 8604, ALCO RS-3
This locomotive was built in 1955 for the PRR and is preserved in PRR paint. It is not running today but could be restored for future operation. Held for future operation or exhibit.
CARGILL 61, EMD NW5
This diesel electric locomotive was one of only 17 NW5’s and was the forerunner of the BL2 and GP series EMD locomotives. This one was used by Fort St. Union Depot in Detroit and later sold to Mississippi Export RR, then to Gardinier Phosphate Company. It was donated by Cargill Corporation. Hopes are to one day return the 61 to full operational status, funds are needed for this project. Currently on static display in Parrish.
VLIX 904, EMD FP-7
Built for the Ontario Northland Railroad, later transferred to GO Transit and converted to a cab-car. The 904 and a dozen cars were then sold to Tri-Rail in Miami Fl. The Florida Railroad Museum acquired the 904 in 2005 for display and eventual cab-car operation. The future plans are to paint the 904 in ACL colors to represent the passenger locomotives that once served Florida. Currently on static display in Willow.
BEDT 12, PORTER 0-6-0T
This steam locomotive was built for the Brooklyn Navy Yard in March 1919. The Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal RR purchased the locomotive in 1922 where it ran until retirement in 1963. It was privately owned and donated to the museum by Dr. Ed Ryan in 1982. This is a small switching locomotive and was used to move freight cars on the docks around Brooklyn, New York. It has been cosmetically restored and is now on display in Parrish.
Frisco 3749, Baldwin 0-6-0
The 3749 was built in 1913 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works for the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad (FRISCO). It was acquired by the Florida Railroad Museum in 2012 from the city of Orlando Fl. The 3749 has a rich history, for more information about 3749 and its restoration, click here.
Cummer & Sons Cypress Company 104, Baldwin 2-6-2
The #104 is a 2-6-2 Prairie Class locomotive, built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in April of 1920. This model of locomotive was popular in Florida for logging operations. The 104 worked in north central Florida hauling Cypress from the swamps to the sawmills. The 104 was capable of pulling a heavy train load of 35 cars of logs. At its retirement in the early 1960’s, the 104 was donated to the city of Leesburg and was placed in Herlong Park. Acquired by the Florida Railroad Museum December 2015 and moved to Willow Fl. now on display for museum visitors.