Our Caboose Line-up
We have many cabooses at the Florida Railroad Museum.
01188 – SCL Caboose
Seaboard Coast Line caboose #01188 was “homemade” by the railroad in 1974 in its Rocky Mount Shops. The 01188 work in regular freight train service well into the CSX era. In the early 1990’s CSX put the 01188 on display and used it as a Operational Life Saver class room near the railroad’s Tampa Fl district offices. The 01188 became surplus to CSX in 2013 at which time the Florida Railroad Museum bought the caboose and moved it to Willow. The 01188 was shopped almost immediately and returned to service for the fall 2013 season.
The 01188 is in regular service at the museum, can accommodate 16 people, and has open windows and a restroom. It is available for charter on general admission excursions and on select special event trains.
12070 – MoPac Caboose
Texas & Pacific (MP) caboose #12070, Built in 1929, this car was used throughout the MoPac and T&P system until retired in 1981. It was purchased by a founding member of the Florida Railroad Museum and later donated to the museum.
The 12070 is in regular service at the museum, can accommodate 16 people, and has open windows and a restroom. It is available for charter on general admission excursions and on select special event trains.
518415 – NW Caboose
Norfolk & Western caboose #518415, Built by the N&W at its Roanoke Shops in 1942 and was used in general service on the N&W. It was donated to the Florida Railroad Museum in 1987 by Norfolk Southern Corporation.
The 518415 is used generally for charter on select special event trains. It can accommodate 14 people, has open windows and a restroom.
Seaboard Coast Line 01061
It was built in 1952 for the Seaboard Air Line Railroad. After the merger with Atlantic Coast Line to form Seaboard Coast Line (SCL) the caboose was rebuilt into a M6 class, based on ACL’s M5 class caboose. At that time, the 01061 was heavily altered and was given the 01061 number. It was painted orange with “Thanks For Using Coast Line” on the sides. The 01061 is still mostly intact as its rebuilt M6 appearance, and will be one day restored as such. The 01061 at some point along its life was acquired by the city of Kissimmee near Orlando and was placed in a city park. It was leased out over the years as a concession stand at the park. The city of Kissimmee donated the 01061 to the Florida Railroad Museum in 2012. The 01061 is currently stored awaiting funds for restoration.
The Billboard caboose at US 301 and the museum’s tracks started life in the 1920 for the C&O railroad. Not much history is known for this caboose. A member bought the caboose from CSX in the 1980’s. The Florida Railroad Museum acquired the caboose in 2007. Not having much “Florida” history, it was decided to use the caboose as a sign/billboard at the Parrish Complex. The caboose was painted and lettered in late 2016 early 2017 and placed on display.